Pre-eminent family lawyer in Parramatta – We specialise in family law
If you are looking for a family lawyer in Parramatta, Opal Legal is the place to go.
From settling property disputes to obtaining custody for your child to your divorce, Opal Legal will provide you with First Rate advice and representation at an affordable price.
We appear regularly before the Family Court and the Federal Circuit Court at Parramatta.
What is involved in a Family Law Property Settlement?
A family law property settlement can be a daunting, expensive and stressful exercise.
Upon appointing us as your property settlement family lawyer in Parramatta, Opal Legal will advise you as to how to achieve the best-possible outcome which is cost-effective and causes the least distress to you.
A property settlement can be obtained by way of a binding financial agreement, mediation, conciliation, arbitration, consent court orders or, as a last resort, after a contested hearing.
What are the factors that a family court considers in a property dispute case?
These are the factors that a family court will consider before making property orders:
- What are the assets and liabilities of the relationship? What are the values of each of these items? Has each party made full and frank disclosure of all their assets, whether owned directly or indirectly by them?
- What were the contributions made by each party to the marriage, including financial contributions, non-financial contributions and contributions as a home-maker and parent? What weight is to be given to each factor?
- What are the future needs and resources of each party? Which of 22 relevant factors should the court take into account and assess?
- Are the orders proposed “just and equitable”?
Our Parramatta family lawyers will analyse how each of these factors are applicable to your particular case at you initial free consultation.
Expert Child Custody Family Lawyer in Parramatta
When parties with children separate, the question of who the children live with and how much time they spend with each parent is often hotly contested.
The Family Law Act sets out a number of important principles about parental responsibility:
- By virtue of section 61DA of the Family Law Act , the court must apply a presumption that it is in the best interest of a child for the child’s parents to have equal shared parental responsibility for the child.
- However, if there are reasonable grounds to believe that a parent of the child has engaged in child abuse or family violence, the presumption does not apply.
With respect to the time that a child is to spend with a parent, the Family Law Act also stipulates very significant criteria:
- Under section 65DAA of the Family Law Act, the court must consider whether a child should spend equal time with each parent – if there is a parenting order which gives equal shared parental responsibility for a child to their parents.
- Should the court not allow equal time to each parent, then it must apply its mind to whether the child is to spend substantial and significant time with each parent. Section 65DAA(3) defines substantial and significant time to include allowing a parent to be involved in the child’s daily routine and in occasions and events that are of particular significance to the child.
Only a family lawyer specialising in child custody will be able to ensure that you spend as much time as possible with your child. Our family lawyers at Parramatta are the best lawyers to go to in child custody cases.
Are you seeking Experienced Divorce Lawyers in Parramatta?
Back in the day, divorce was granted only if a party could prove marital fault. The Matrimonial Causes Act 1959 listed 14 grounds on which divorce could be granted. The grounds included adultery, desertion, non-consummation of marriage, cruelty, habitual drunkenness or illegal drug-taking, criminal convictions and insanity.
The Family Law Act 1975 revolutionised divorce in Australia by removing the concept of “fault” from divorce.
Since then, the sole ground for divorce is that the marriage has broken down irretrievably.
However, although the procedure for divorce is now much simpler, there are still certain stringent requirements to be met before divorce can be granted.
Opal Legal’s incredible team of divorce lawyers in Parramatta can act for you in your divorce and ensure that your divorce is granted speedily and without complications.
What is different about Opal Legal?
- Family law cases in Australia are administered by a combination of the Family Law Act, the Family Law regulations, rules of the Family Court and Federal Circuit Court and the common law (case law). To navigate this minefield, your family law attorney must have a complete knowledge of all of the nuts and bolts that make up the machinery of family law. Opal Legal’s Parramatta family lawyers are the best that Paramatta has to offer in terms of knowledge and skills.
- Experience matters. At Opal Legal, we have a decade of experience in family law. Our family lawyers in Parramatta appear in the Family Court and the Federal Circuit Court almost daily.
- Being one of Paramatta’s best family lawyers, we always aim to meet your expectations. We will listen to you as to what you expect to achieve at your first free consultation; and then provide an assessment of how realistic your expectations are.
- Empathy: Our divorce lawyers in Parramatta appreciate how stressful and overwhelming a separation can be, as we act for separated partners almost every day.
- The best strategy: After properly assessing your case, our family lawyer in Parramatta will suggest the best way to move forward to get you the best possible result.
- Value for money: We will make every effort to have your case completed as speedily as possible and at a cost that is affordable to you.
Parramatta’s Most Trustworthy Family Law Firm
Opal Legal is the firm you can trust for all your family law needs. Our professional team has some of the best family lawyers Parramatta has to offer.
Our expertise in child custody cases includes relocation applications, child support, child abduction and airport watch-list applications.
In property settlement cases, our Parramatta property lawyers also advise on binding financial agreements (pre-nuptial and post-marriage).
Overseas marriages and their inter-relationship with Australian family law is another area our family lawyers in Parramatta have specialised experience in.
Our Parramatta divorce lawyers also regularly deal with spousal maintenance and de facto relationship matters.